For current Tuition Assistance policy and procedures, click here.
Tuition Assistance is a program offered by the Department of Defense intended to encourage service members to volunteer to attend courses delivered by accredited civilian educational institutions on campus, at military installations, or through distance learning during off-duty times. To aid with this, $4,500 is available for active duty Marines every fiscal year (1 October - 30 September) to help pay for the cost of tuition. Current rates are $250 per semester hour or $166.67 per quarter hour.
Are you a Sailor interested in Tuition Assistance? Click here for Navy specific guidelines and contact information.
First-time tuition assistance applicants must complete the eligibility requirements to access this funding.
- Personal Readiness Seminar (PRS)
- Attend a Marine Corps Tuition Assistance Overview (TA) Brief (no registration required).
- In-Person Schedule:
- Schwab - Tuesday & Thursday 10 a.m.
- Hansen - Monday & Wednesday 10 a.m.
- Courtney - Monday & Wednesday 10 a.m.
- Foster - Tuesday & Thursday 10 a.m.**
- Futenma - Monday & Wednesday 10 a.m.
- Kinser - Tuesday & Thursday 10 a.m.
- In-Person Schedule:
Meet at least one of the following criteria
completed at least 10 academic semester credits at the post-secondary level, with no grade lower than a C;
earned a score of at least 50 on the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT);
earned a score of at least 100 on the General Technical portion of the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery;
completed the Academic Skills Program in the classroom;
completed the Online Academic Skills Program (OASC).
Once the eligibility requirements are met, the next steps are enrolling in school and applying for TA to help cover the cost of tuition.
- Enroll in the school of your choice and request a degree plan (the list of classes required to earn your degree)
- First time TA users MUST attend their first TA funded class at an on-island school. Contact your local education center for possible exceptions to this requirement.
- Once received, upload a copy of your degree plan to your Web TA Portal.
- Choose a class that you wish to attend and apply for Tuition Assistance through your Web TA Portal.
- For guidance, please follow the instructions on our Step-by-Step Guide.
Attention TA Users:
TA will not be authorized between September 15-30, 2023 due to the end of fiscal year processing.
Classes with a start date between September 15-30, 2023 MUST be command approved and authorized by the MCCS Education Center by COB Thursday, September 14.
Although TA requests can be submitted 60 days prior to the course start date, classes starting on or after October 1 can not be authorized by the MCCS Education Center until October 1, 2023 (CST).
Thank you for your understanding. Contact your nearest MCCS Education Center for more information.