The Aquatics programs provide a full spectrum of recreational and instructional activities in a safe, healthy, fun environment which aids in the development of life skills and builds resiliency in our service members. Drowning prevention is a key theme for Aquatics with a focus on prevention awareness.
The purpose of the Lifeguarding Full Course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Successful completion of the Lifeguarding Full Course will result in the following certifications: Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED; Administering Emergency Oxygen; and Bloodborne Pathogens Training. Students must be 15 years old on or before the last day of the course and must be able to pass the prerequisite skills:
• Swim 300 meters continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may use front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only your legs keeping your arms crossed and hands under the armpits.
• Starting in the water, swim 20 meters using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7–10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, swim 20 meters back to the starting point with the object and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
• All prerequisites will be completed at the beginning of the course.
The purpose of the Lifeguarding Review Course is to review the knowledge and skills presented in the Lifeguarding Full Course. A current certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED is required for participation in the Lifeguarding Review Course. Successful completion of the Lifeguarding Review Course will result in the following certifications: Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED; Administering Emergency Oxygen; and Bloodborne Pathogens Training.
The purpose of the Water Safety Instructor Course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety Program. Successful completion of the Water Safety Instructor Course will result in the following certifications: Water Safety Instructor. Candidates must be 16 years old on or before the last day of the course and must be able to pass the prerequisite skills:
- Swim 25 meters of each of the following strokes: front crawl, back crawl, elementary backstroke, breaststroke, and sidestroke; swim 15 meters of butterfly stroke.
- Maintain position on back in deep water for one minute (floating or sculling).
- Tread water for one minute.
- All prerequisites will be completed at the beginning of the course.
Please visit the "Upcoming Courses" tab for details. If you do not see a particular course on the "Upcoming Courses" tab, we do not currently have a course on the schedule. Please keep checking back as courses are continuously added to the schedule.
Upon successful completion of the appropriate certification courses, you may apply for a job online at https://okinawa.usmc-mccs.org/careers.**
100% refunds will be given to cancellations made prior to the registration deadline for each course
80% refunds will be given to cancellations made after the registration deadline for each course
No refunds will be given after the first day of class
*Some courses require prerequisite skills, which will be assessed on the first day of the course. Failure to complete these skills during the assessment session will result in an automatic disenrollment of the class and an 80% refund given to the student. The student may choose to enroll in another upcoming course and pay the full course fee. Students that fail the prerequisite skills assessment or do not show up to the first day of the course cannot transfer their course registration fee to another upcoming course.
**Successful completion of a lifeguarding certification course does not guarantee employment with MCCS. If you are interested in working with MCCS Semper Fit Aquatics, please visit MCCS Jobs to find listings and apply for the region that best fits your location. We are currently accepting applications for all seasonal pools.
|Monday||8AM - 4PM|
|Tuesday||8AM - 4PM|
|Wednesday||8AM - 4PM|
|Thursday||8AM - 4PM|
|Friday||8AM - 4PM|